General Information/DiscussionsBF3 CQ Server Ban

General Info for everyone

Topic author
ClashNapolean

Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:39 pm

Hello,

I was recently banned from one of the LegionAtWar HC Battlefield 3 servers. The reason was because of using the banned word 'negro'. I assure you, no offense was meant to anyone and it was only used within the privacy of my own squad with two good friends of mine. Not to mention, it was not used in an inappropriate manor as far as I am concerned. I obviously had no intent to offend anyone hence the post was within the squad chat, not the global chat, nor was this a personal attack/argument fueled usage.

I am requesting to be unbanned as I was unaware of the rules regarding the usage of said 'racial slurs'. I wouldn't have expected 'negro' to be of any offense to anyone, especially considering its double meaning. Yet, these are not my rules to question and I only wish to once again be able to join the server.

Information:
In-Game Name: ClashNapolean
Date of Ban: I believe it was 12-4-2011
Server: Admittedly, I am not aware exactly what server it was. Although, when attempting to join..

LegionAtWar HC 24/7 Metro|Bazaar|Crossing|High Ticket

.. I receive a "You are banned from this server" or something similar. I have never been banned from a server, so I can only assume that is the server that I was banned from.

Thanks for any help and/or information.

EDIT:

To validate the fact that I was in the squad with two of my friends, their names are Mokitdown and ThePhilosoraptor. I can have them present themselves on the forums if necessary, but I do not wish to burden them with such a process if not necessary.
Last edited by ClashNapolean on Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

R.J.

Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:54 pm

Please sit tight while we look into the ban. Thanks.

Topic author
ClashNapolean

Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:57 pm

R.J. wrote:Please sit tight while we look into the ban. Thanks.

No rush. If I can provide any further information to assist in the process, I am happy to do so.

Also, I believe it must have been an automatic ban as I literally pressed enter and I was at my desktop.

sidewinder9x

Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:15 pm

ClashNapoleon,

You were auto-banned by the server for uttering a racial slur;Thank-you for addressing your ban in a mature and respectful manner.
As one of the server Admins I must express my regret by informing you that our rules are quite clear concerning the use of racial language in any form (ZERO TOLERANCE); we are aware that many of today's people will use that term as a form of greeting which unfortunately, we do not agree with as it can be considered very disrespectfully to certain individuals.

Many of us here at Legion At War are in professions that wouldn't tolerate that type of greeting under any circumstances and that is how we look at it here.

It is still being discussed among our membership, but I want to make sure that you are aware and understand we have never reversed/lifted a ban where a racial insult is concerned.

Topic author
ClashNapolean

Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:26 pm

Sidewinder,

Thanks for the reply. I see the rules clear now, but unfortunately this was said when I joined prior to my recognition of the rules. Yet, that is no excuse for breaking the rules and I fully understand that. I am familiar with the position you are in and I thank you for going against past precedents to look further into the matter.

I understand if that ban can not be reversed as these are your rules and I would not attempt to question them. At the least, I wish to at least make it clear that I did not intend to break any rules nor would I intend to offend any people. I don't want to tarnish my name or make it appear as if I am racist.

Rock Studly

Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:48 pm

Normally, I have ZERO TOLERANCE for using the typical N word that we see on the server. In this case, and this case only, I might be willing to give this player a second chance because:

First, he made the request in a mature, polite manner.

Second, even though the word "Negro" itself is not intrinsically offensive, use as a form of greeting is inappropriate and offensive to many people, including many of us, who are able to read the chat. That said, our rules are designed to prevent people from using racial epithets to insult or offend others, which apparently did not occur here.

I would vote to give this player a second chance, with the clear admonishment that a second similar violation of our rules against racist language will not be tolerated and that there will be no third chance.

ClashNapoleon, people of every race, nationality, ethnic background, sexual orientation and religious belief are welcomed on our servers and we want to maintain an atmosphere that is fair, friendly and welcoming. For those reasons we consider demeaning slurs and verbal abuse to be contrary to our clan's philosophy. We pay for these servers and share them with the community of gamers free of charge. All we ask in return is that our guests use good manners, play fairly and behave as they would in anyone else's home. Our rules are reasonable and they are fairly and evenly applied. We monitor our servers on a regular basis to make sure players adhere to them. If you are lucky enough to have this ban overturned, I would STRONGLY suggest you read our rules before returning to the servers. I would also remind you that we log and read ALL chat that occurs, even chat within teams and squads.

I strongly suggest you read the rules of any server you join. Lastly, a good rule of thumb is that if you conform to the rules of good conduct in any workplace, you will probably never have a problem on well run servers.
Last edited by Rock Studly on Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

R.J.

Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:50 pm

We've decided to lift the ban as we feel your intent was not malicious nor directed toward anyone. Please be advised Legion At War does not tolerate the use of racial language. We work very hard to ensure players from all ethnicities and backgrounds are welcome to play and enjoy our servers in a fair and friendly environment.

Any use of racial language in the future will result in a permanent ban with no appeal.

Topic author
ClashNapolean

Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:00 am

R.J.,

Thank you. I appreciate LegionAtWar making an exception in my specific circumstance. A friendly and welcoming environment is great and I surely do not seek to tarnish that. As stated prior, I never had any intention of offending anyone. As someone who has traveled around the world and currently resides in Philadelphia, a fairly diverse city, I enjoy a sense of diversity and in no way, shape, or form am I racist or a bigot. I can't stress that enough.

Sadly, to somewhat justify my actions would require a long description of the friendship between the two squad-members and the ethnic backgrounds of the community/clan that we are part of that isn't entirely necessary, but can be provided to anyone who if interested. :D (Short: We are not racist, but there are a few African-Americans in our community that used to use 'negro' when joining ventrilo and it became a running joke between a group of us.)

Rock,

Thanks for your words on the matter. After I registered on the site, locating the server rules was the first action I took prior to posting my appeal. I tend to be cautious while waiting for rules to either..
    ..Display in chat.
    ..Link to where they are listed.
    ..Admins to declare them.
To be honest, I am rarely in a position where I have been banned as I do not break rules intentionally and I am not one to verbally abuse anyone. Usually rules like 'camping' or 'mortar too close to main' (for example) are rules that I would be reprimanded for breaking.

With the mass amount of BF3 servers, I am at a new server practically everyday. Yet, LegionAtWar's rules will not be forgotten in the future and I will respect and follow them. As stated above, I had no intention of offending anyone nor do I ever.

Along with that, I hear where you all are coming from with the server. Being in the same position a few years back in 2142 when I had more time to spend on videogames, I can most definitely relate to wanting to promote an environment like the one here.

All that being said, thanks again for the second chance. I will not disappoint. See you all in the server!

gi.joe

Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:51 pm

Thank you for your thoughtful remarks. I hope to see you on one of our servers.

Nice score by the way.

Locked Previous topicNext topic
  • Information