General Information/DiscussionsBACKYARD WORK

General Info for everyone

Topic author
sidewinder9x

Sat May 07, 2016 7:37 am

ah, spring is here at last!; winter, with its icy grip is gone so to be replaced by hot and humid summer days.

Here at sidewinder central warm temps and ample rainfall means planting all manner of things and cleaning up stuff already growing like our Blackberries bushes and Fig trees.

Fir your viewing pleasure I have included several photos; among them is my Bamboo; a beautiful plant you either like it or you don't especially the variety I have; mainly because it loves to spread and will in a second if left unchecked.

Bamboo is actually a member of the grass family Poaceae Scientific name: Bambusoideae. There are two main types as well, clumps which doesn't spread and the kind I have which spread by rhizomes (runners).

Bamboo can be used for all manner of things from clothing, flooring, furniture to scaffolding for buildings to name a few.
It makes an excellent privacy fence too (which is part of why I let it grow); Is green year round too. My wife drys the leaves to make paper which she then in turns sells to artist.

The downside to my type is it wants to spread; You can't put any herbicides on it as it just come back due to it's root system and the only way to kill it is to dig it up which can be labor intensive depending on how much there is.

The roots grow down about 10 inches deep (about depth of a shovel and you work the blade under them and start applying leverage.
It sounds easy but the the root/rhizome really hold soil well so it's good for erosion. I usually work it back to the main plant and then cut it off using pruning shears; axes won't cut it either, they just bounce off that's how tough it is.

So, maybe someday I'll get rid of it, but for now it hides the rental from my view.

Enjoy!

bamboo fence.JPG
rhizome.JPG
side shoots.JPG
cut shoots.JPG
blackberries 2.JPG

KungfuBeer

Sat May 07, 2016 10:00 am

Pretty sweet

Flipper

Sat May 07, 2016 11:32 am

Make some great arrows and spears out of that Bamboo :)

Topic author
sidewinder9x

Sat May 07, 2016 12:24 pm

You can do that very easily and it is sharp as a razor.

Druzin

Sat May 07, 2016 3:57 pm

I'm not sure what kind it is, but bamboo shoots can also be pretty tasty in hot pot. Yours looks like what I remember growing behind my grandmothers house. They used it to help keep the hill from eroding I think.

MissileChicago

Sat May 07, 2016 4:58 pm

Wow that is very cool! I just got done with all day yard work.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information